I don't like blogging but I do like doing a year in review post!
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
We bought brand new furniture! Last January, we finally got to live in this house as a single family unit and it was the best thing ever! This summer, we finally go around to cleaning up the upstairs to make it our space and we painted, cleaned, put in carpet, had the hardwood refinished, and bought new furniture.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I wanted to work out more, find some time for myself, and buy a house. I did manage to work out more until it got cold out, I did not get more me time, but we are getting closer to buying the house. For this year, I want to get back to going to church, reading more, and sewing more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister in law had a baby this August!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What states did you visit? (I changed this one, as I will never get to visit one country a year.)
The only place I visited was Las Vegas, again for work. 6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you didn’t have in 2014?
Financial freedom? We had to get into a little bit of debt to get out of a bigger debt, so it's already looking up for us but we need to stay on track.
7. What dates from 2014 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
August 18th, when Jacob started his first day of public school.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I've been a single parent for a large part of the year when Chris took on a new(old) profession to help end our cycle of poverty. Some things were hard to handle alone, but it wasn't miserable!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I totally failed at Christmas presents this year because I got sick.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
This Fall and Winter have been brutal on Elise and me. We just seem to get sick every other week and it's been miserable!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new truck for Chris. I don't like the payments, but it sure makes him happy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Chris, for being willing to work away from home and when he got laid off two weeks ago, for finding a new job right away, even when it's not something he enjoys doing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Ferguson responses made me pretty sad and angry.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Sallie Mae and Ford Credit.(same as last year! But, next year, we do not owe a single dime to Ford!)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Vegas!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Shake it off, Blank Space, All About That Bass
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Thinner, but not by much.
Poorer. But without a giant debt over our heads.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Playing with the kids with their toys.(same as last year, darn it.)
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Yelling. I hate it but sometimes I get so frustrated. (Ditto)
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home in the morning with just Chris and the kids. Then we went to Chris's parents for the rest of the day. My mom was out of town, so we didn't celebrate with my side until Saturday.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Nashville, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Black Mirror
22. What was the best thing you learned? (I changed this question.)
How to make earrings. Honestly, I'm drawing a blank on new things.
23. What was the best book you read?
Outlander, although I haven't been able to start book three yet.
25. What was your greatest food discovery? (I changed this question.)
I didn't have to cook much when Chris was gone and it was amazing. But I did start using zucchini and spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
26. What did you want and get?
Tall black boots. Uggs!
27. What did you want and not get?
A fire pit (again!)
28. What was your favorite film of 2014?
We watch so few movies, I don't even think I saw a new one this year. Silver Linings Playbook was the only one that comes to mind.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31. We went to Manitou Springs and let the kids play arcade games and then waiting for ever for dinner from one place I thought would be amazing and it was only so-so.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having a contract on our house would be nice, but it would be even better if Chris could make good money locally.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
I bought my first pair of nice jeans. And now I want more!
32. What kept you sane?
My mom and having a good network of friends to help me when I need it.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Ferguson issues and the issues it raised.
34. Who did you miss?
My grandma in PA.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Sandra and Nicole!
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Garnishments on your wages are a never ending cycle. Don't buy shit you can't or won't pay for!
37. Show us one
of your favorite photos from the year. (I changed this question. It used
to be about music. Which I don’t really listen to.)