Thursday, March 11, 2010

We All Scream!

For ICE CREAM!

I'm in love with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. I had never had it until we came to visit CS last year in March. I ate gallons of it while we lived in Mobile and we even stocked up on it before we moved back to Colorado. It is amazing and not available to the entire nation. I scooped myself a bowl of ice cream as my sister in law got out a cup of Italian ice and told her how I would probably eat the whole half gallon and need another before I left. She was shocked and probably disgusted but I don't care. A few pounds is fine by me if it means I get to eat delicious cream for a whole week. She has body issues so I can't expect her to understand. Uh, even though I've been feeling a tad bit on the chubby side for the last week as I gave up exercising for some reason. Laziness? Lack of enthusiasm? I have no idea. But they have a Wii Fit so I should really be on the ball. Or at least take Jacob on a long walk each morning. Because it's 75 degrees here and perfect. I love the South. I want to stay here forever. I will take the humidity and crazy people and my delicious ice cream. I will just live here with my brother and his wife and their baby and we will all be happy.

I came down here on a mission to make life easier for my brother's wife but I'm not sure much will be accomplished. She's too scared to leave the baby so I'm trying to talk to her about not saying that she never wanted to be a mom and how she wants to have her own life back. It's hard to hear those things and not be angry about it. She has so much that I want but I also have things she wants. I have a college education and a life as a child-free woman. I didn't get married young and I am good at lots of things. I've worked. I chose to have a baby and I desperately want to stay home with him. She wants to stay home but she just feels trapped sometimes. She has no family or friends and a 5 month old baby. It's exhausting. I know. But you can't say you regret your baby.

I'm trying to be good and nice and non-judgmental. But tell me, did I go too far by taking a rag to the kitchen counters and wiping up all the crumbs and junk in the corners and behind bowls? No? How about when I mopped up the floor? Yes?

I can't help myself. A dirty kitchen is my biggest pet peeve ever. I cannot stand spills on the floor or sauce baked on the stove. I maybe even wiped down the windowsill.

But if this is sickness, I really don't want to be well.

2 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Ugh. I am probably stating the obvious, but has she talked to someone about post-partum depression? There are several warning bells here.

Here's hoping things get worked out.

Take care of yourself, too. :-)

Unknown said...

Yes, she's been medicated for PPD and she just went in to get her meds adjusted. Sadly, I don't know if that's the root of the problem though. I think she's just unhappy in all areas or always looking for attention.

Thank you!