Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Just A Common Thing

Before I decided to come to New Mexico with CS, I had a very had time with the idea that I was losing my health insurance. I've never been without it, except for two months when I first started working after graduation. When CS told me about coming down here, he told me that I wouldn't have to worry about health insurance once I was here because I would be able to get on his plan.

Well, now that I'm down here and coming close to the cut-off for pre-existing conditions (maybe past that limit already, actually) I remembered to remind him I wanted on his insurance. Two days ago, he told me he went into the office and was told it would be easy to add me.

Today he brought home the forms.

CS: You may want to read these. You might not want to do it.
Me: Um, ok. (scans a form)
CS: Look at the other one.
Me: Hmm? (Am distracted. Easily.)
CS: Look at the one on the table.
Me: What? (Also, can't pay attention to spoken words.)
CS: This one!

Oh. The one with QUESTIONNAIRE FOR COMMON LAW MARRIAGE splayed across the top of the page?

Oh. That one. Turns out I need to have a common law marriage with him in order to be able to get benefits. Of course! After I read the form and screeched out an "Oh my god", CS got down on one knee and asked me if I'd be his Common Law wife. (In JEST, people.) I suppose that I should have seen something like this occurring. What with all the trouble people across our nation have with health insurance. No way some construction company is going to allow the unwed participate in their plan. Must have a ring! Or at least some sort of declaration that we will maybe someday have a real wedding, but if not at least he can claim me on his taxes!

My mom had me look up Common Law Marriages in New Mexico before I came down here. NM does not have a common law marriage law, but Colorado does. And since we are both still legal residents of that state, I don't think I can claim to be married here but not in Colorado.

So I guess I have to decide if I want to be "married" in order to have health insurance. I certainly couldn't have predicted that two months ago!

No comments: