Monday, May 12, 2008

The Night The Phones Died

CS and I went out to the lake for some evening fishing earlier this week. We stopped at a gas station to meet one of the girls I work with and her boyfriend so they could follow us out to the Salt River spot. I had my phone on my lap, like I usually do, but when I got out of the truck it somehow slipped out to the ground. Like this is not bad enough, to drop a phone onto rough gravel, but then I managed to step on my phone. With all of my weight. Before thinking "huh, what fell out and what am I stepping on?" No. No, I did not do that. I just hopped out. And cracked my screen so badly that it wouldn't work anymore. I could still make calls but I couldn't see the face. It was just darkness. With a streak of cracked lightning up the middle. I almost cried. Here I am, only 5 months into my two year contract with no insurance policy and I destroy my phone. Do you know how expensive phones are when you have a contract? Or when you didn't put insurance on because they only give you fourteen days from signing to get insurance? You are fucked, my friend. Because even the cheapest phones are over one hundred dollars. There is no option for a customer who has a contract. They take this opportunity to screw you out of a lot of money. But I had a very nice Verizon rep on the phone who told me to (a) try Ebay or (b) get a phone from Walmart that is a Verizon pay as you go phone. I took a chance on a phone I found on Ebay. I won it, and got it today. So far, so good. It's an older Chocolate phone. Similar to the one I had before but not as high tech. I'm not in love with it. But I think it can get me through until I think of a better plan. I just can't believe that they want so much money for something they just give away when you sign a new contract. I can buy an ipod from Apple for cheaper than you can buy a cheap ass phone from a cell company. It's a conspiracy. I'm sure of it.

No comments: