Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Stolen From Someone From Someone Else

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I got pregnant and had a baby.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't think I made any last year. But this year I want to read the Bible daily. And keep in touch with friends and family better.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Myself! And a few other people I know.

4. Did anyone close to you die? CS's grandpa died in January, it was very sad for them.

5. What countries did you visit? Texas.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? I'd like to be financially secure again. It seems like we've been struggling with money forever now.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 2nd, when I found out I was pregnant. September 3rd, when Jacob was born.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I'm a really good mama.

9. What was your biggest failure? Losing all my savings. I don't actually consider that my failure though. I was busy becoming a mom.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Pregnancy is a condition, not a disease. No, once I got over the 1st trimester, I felt great.

11. What was the best thing you bought? A plane ticket to Ohio. I got to see my friends for the last time without a baby.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My mom. She's been unwaveringly supportive of me and Jacob since we came back home, and even before that when I was having a really hard time accepting the fact that we had no money and no idea what we were going to do post-baby. I'm just very grateful.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I'm not exactly appalled, but some of CS's decisions have depressed me.

14. Where did most of your money go? Cobra. Rent. CS's truck payment. Trying to pay all the bills while CS is unemployed.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Once Jacob was born, I was really excited about it. Before, it just didn't seem real.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor. I sang it to Jacob a lot when we first moved back to CO and I thought it summed up our life at the time.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Being crafty. I made almost half of the gifts I gave for Christmas and I wish I'd done more knitting and sewing. I get better each time I try something again.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worry about money. It's turning out ok to be broke and I could have saved myself a few sleepless nights and a lot of jaw clenching.

20. How did you spend Christmas? At my mom's house in the morning and CS's grandma's in the afternoon.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes.

22. What was your favorite TV program? I really like "The Fringe" even after I stopped watching the first episode because it freaked me out. Nothing that happens can be real, but it plays into your fantasy of "what if?"

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don't believe myself capable of hate. I can be annoyed or dislike someone. But hate is just too powerful.

24. What was the best book you read?Pete and Pickles. It's a children's book my mom got for JBelle, but it's the most powerful example of love I've seen in a long time. In the grown up sector, I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I'm pretty disappointed with my musical tastes this year. I'm constantly dissatisfied.

26. What did you want and get? A Kitchen Aid Mixer.

27. What did you want and not get? An engagement ring.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? I loved Wall-E.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 25 this year and we spent the day down in the valley. Eating sushi and Cheesecake Factory banana cheesecake and shopping for a good gift for myself rather than for the baby. We watched the Dark Knight and at midnight we got stranded in Mesa when my car died and my brother couldn't help us. We shouldn't have driven my car but we made it alright. I felt worse for Hunter. He was locked up for almost 24 hours during that time.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Knowing that CS had a job he loved that paid him well.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Maternity.

32. What kept you sane? My baby boy, my friends, and my mom.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Tina Fey. I was so amused by her Palin skits.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? I was very upset by Colorado trying to pass a "Life begins at conception" bill because I think it would have hurt more women than need be. As a woman, I didn't like the idea that I could die because it was illegal to terminate an eptopic pregnancy until an official ruled it ok.

35. Who did you miss?I miss my friends in Ohio. I've never gone so long without seeing them.

36. Who was the best new person you met? My son, hands down. I've never been more in love with someone and I am constantly amazed and amused by the little things he does. I thought I loved JBelle deeply, but this is just so much more.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. It's ok to sleep in till 9 AM with your new baby.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "I know you can do it."

No comments: