Friday, November 07, 2008

Armfuls

I have a lot of books.

Really, this shouldn't surprise anyone as I have a degree in English and I was a librarian for two years. I also took as many English classes as the University would allow, occasionally taking a class under a different code so I could take even more English classes. I was a Humanities minor, guess I should throw that in. Of course, I still have all my books. What? Maybe someday I will want to read Dante's Inferno (again) or Wilkie Collins novel or maybe some Russian literature.

Doubtful. But at least when I put them all on my bookshelves in my library in my house, I can say that I've read them all. Never mind the yellow USED stickers all over half of them. I was never the type to buy things brand, spanking new. Why bother? You're just going to write all over them anyways.

When I moved to New Mexico, I left many, many books behind. I took only a few that were most interesting to me, most likely to be re-read when I was looking for something to occupy my time. But then I bought more books while we lived there, and my mom gave me some for Christmas. Then I got pregnant and picked up more books along the way. My mom sent me more books. It's a cycle, really.

Now that I am back at her house, I decided to read a trilogy I own, for about the third time. But first I had to find them. Since my mom foolishly thought I had moved out for good and she packed all my things away. But not all in logical places. I went out to the shed and looked in one plastic bin and found some books. Not what I needed. I looked in the bin underneath that bin and I found some boots, purses, and more books. Not the trilogy though. I called my mom and asked her where the books were. She said in a cardboard box on the top shelf. I got that box down, maybe damaging a few things in the process, that shit is heavy. Found loads of books. Also, a dead mouse. Not with the books, but on the floor near where I was looking. So three boxes of books and I'm still missing a substantial amount of my collection. Finally, I found them in yet another bin. A very heavy bin that takes two people to get back into place.

I really need my own library.

No comments: