Friday, November 06, 2009

Don't Shoot!

Ok, I know I promised pictures but I have no camera. Since I'm staying at my mom's, I left my fancy camera under Jacob's crib. I figured I could just use her camera while I was here if I wanted to prove that I really have been crafty. Except the woman who can hardly take a photo at any function to save her life? Took her camera. I have my cell phone but that's not really the best way to document.

So instead I have a pizza recipe! It's an adaption of Jim Lahay's pizza bianca and Smitten Kitchen's pizza with peppers.

For the dough:

3 cups flour
1 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups water

Combine the dry then add the water and mix with a wooden spoon. Once the dough has incorporated most of the flour, shape in to a ball and place in a bowl oiled with olive oil. Cover and let rise for three hours.

Once the dough has risen, take it out of the bowl and place onto a well floured counter and let sit while you get the toppings ready.

For the topping:
four strips of bacon, diced and fried
1/2 onion thinly sliced and caramelized in the bacon fat
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tomato, thinly sliced
8 oz. Mozzarella, shredded
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 oregano

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place pizza stone in oven.

Combine the tomato sauce and the spices together in a small pot and let them simmer. Once your toppings are cooked and sliced, you can roll out the pizza dough. Split the ball in half and roll out one half. I had to use plenty of flour to keep it from sticking to the counter. I don't have a pizza peel so I use a metal pizza sheet and cover it with flour and cornmeal to keep the rolled out dough from sticking too much. Once it's rolled out and on the tray, assemble the toppings. Make sure the pizza can move around on the tray before you quickly slide it onto the hot baking stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden and cheese is starting to brown.

Slide off the pizza stone and let cool a few minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I can so take pictures to save my life or not to save my life so there!