Tuesday, November 03, 2009

So I Need a Job

I do need a job. I don't want one, but we are at the point where I need one. Desperately. Even if it's so I can put gas in my car and buy Jacob diapers. I don't mind working if I can do it without putting the baby in daycare, because I don't have money for daycare and I really like my baby and I want to be with him all the time. So I'm sort of limited in my options here. Then, this morning I get a voicemail from a woman who works in the WIC office in Mobile, AL. She wants to know if I would like a paid position as a lactation consultant for other WIC mom's. It's only 10 hours a week at $7.25 but that's a PERFECT job for me.

Except I don't live in Alabama anymore. So I can't work for them.

I'm bummed. It would be so perfect for me, because I think breastfeeding is GREAT and I want everyone to try it but I know it's hard at first. It's so hard and I almost gave up at 8 weeks because I couldn't even shower without feeling like screaming. My nipples were so sensitive that the water mist created by droplets hitting my body hurt when I showered. I remember thinking that they would hurt forever and that I could never shower without pain from water out of the showerhead. I had horrible back pain, even throwing out my back once. That was so hard because I couldn't look down, I couldn't stand up or lean back into the couch. I couldn't even pick up Jacob for a day. Luckily, I could go to a chiropractor and I think he helped but my back continued to hurt until Jacob was three months old. So I know how hard it is to keep nursing. But now? I am so glad I stuck with it. Not only did we save a fortune by not buying formula, but Jacob didn't get his first cold until he was 13 months old.

That job would be perfect for me. Not only is it about something I am passionate about, but I can do it without putting Jacob in daycare. He'd just go with me. So I think I will be going to my local WIC office here and asking if they need a paid lactation consultant. Or I'm going to sell Pampered Chef.

No comments: